Monday, July 10, 2006

W Words


Some W Words for ThirdWorldAnt

Wit – the brave face shown to reality that floats above the world’s problems,
Whining – something that people who see the glass as half-empty do plenty of. Not a favorite pastime of mine, unless I’m whining about whiners. I prefer wining with a bottomless glass of red at least half-full.
Whingers – a relative of those that whine a lot.
Woe – The emotion that anyone who has ever trusted my sports predictions or supported the Springboks and the Sharks has suffered much of.
Wazzup!! – a phrase that dates you and whacks you straight back to the turn of the century. Gained fame from a Superbowl Budweiser advert.
Wilde – An Oscar winner from a bygone era and great purveyor of wit. Such as this: “An idea that is not dangerous is not worthy of being called an idea at all” and this: “Do not divide people into good and evil, People are either tedious or charming.”
Wakerife – A new word I just found that seems to count in scrabble but that I can’t find a decent definition for.
Waits, Tom - A Jitterbug of a musician who spins on my turntable when the house is empty as noone else can bare him. "Never trust a man in blue trenchcoat, Never drive a car when you're dead", he wails.
Whore – what most of do we do for our daily bread
Wonderful – a close sibling of my favourite friend awe. Satchmo sings about it in a gravelly voice.
World – the place that I live. Can be Wonderful like Satchmo suggests or big & bad like a Wolf.
Wolf – as in “wolf it down” what I do to food when I have the munchies and most other times too.
Warehouse – what my brain feels like oftentimes : As David Bowie puts it in the song Five Years : “My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there”.
Wasteful – The sign of our times
Weissbier & Windhoek Lager – Beer, good better beer.
Whiskey or Whisky – amber stuff , nearly as good as beer
Wallet – what muggers are after and what I stuff into my skants to deceive them.
Wallpaper – Throwback from the past but a great 21st century Design magazine
Wittgenstein,  Ludwig - a clever man who wrote a tome called Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
Writing – what I do for fun sometimes.
Walking – The thing I do to shake off the black dog (a la Winston).

Enough for hors d'oeuvres. Perhaps some more to come in due course.

1 comment:

Third World Ant said...

Why thank you for obliging, Wit.

I appreciate the listing of whiskey before whisky!