Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A man is not a piece of fruit

"I put 34 years into this firm, Howard, and now I can't pay my insurance. You can't eat an orange and then throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit" - Willie Loman in Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman.

People do treat you differently once the resignation letter has been signed and submitted. Not badly, just differently and a little distantly. Perhaps it's part jealousy and for some a sense of failure and disappointment? Not that I feel discarded during my last week (and nearly 8 years), just that I hope I never get to feel the way that Willie Loman felt. Moving on is a way to avoid becoming a piece of fruit.

4 comments:

Champagne Heathen said...

I hate that period after the resignation. I always just hope they say I may as well clear out & they'll just pay me for the rest of the month. (My brother somehow lands this sweet situation at every resignation, and he's had a few!)

It's not that your loyalty goes, but your commitment does start to wane. And at the same time they stop seeing you in their medium/ long-term plans so they have to shift you to the side while they talk business. I know the feeling, it isn't nice.

Enjoy your last week though! I hope you get a kick-ass farewell party.

I also constantly hope, since having read that play, that i never ever end up like him!!

ATW said...

Ah commitment, those were the days. Looking forward to getting some of that back.

Anonymous said...

The character is Willy LOMAN, not Lomax.

Anonymous said...

Thank you - where on earth would you get Lomax?! :P