Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Synapses and success at last


It's weird how life all sort of links up, somehow it is almost as if there is some invisible subliminal spiderweb that connects random events, information and matter together. Well it seems to happen in my brain anyway and if you read the my last few posts I will try and indicate how they link all together. But since it is my mushforbrain that they are mixed up in it could be a little bit confusing.

The Dylan (Zimmerman) quote in yesterday's post was sparked by the same quote being appended on an email from a good mate of mine, the biggest Dylan fan in the world and the man who introduced me to the bloke "with a voice like sand and glue" who could write stuff like (my favourite line from Subterranean Homesick Blues). "The pump don't work , 'cause the vandals stole the handles" (do go read the rest of  lyrics if you don't know the song..)

Well there I was thinking about the meaning of life and trying to get inspired by songs and of course there is the bit of inspiration and there is Sunscreen inspiration of:

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don’t.

Yesterday morning on my way into work I gave Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" a whirl in my tape player. It's alwaysthewit's best ever protest song and the tales around it are well worth researching. Miss Wit, at age 4 and a half, also thinks its a wonderful ditty. The whole of side one (18 minutes of it) dedicated to the title song. Capital Radio (which I also referred to recently) introduced me to the song. What other station would indulge you with an uninterrupted 18 minute spoken word folk song?

Guthrie and Dylan were '60's peers and that song has the chorus line: "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, Excepting Alice".

So here goes.

Dylan says wake up in the morning and do what you want. Guthrie suggests a good place to get what you want (cause you can get anything there, "excepting Alice") is Alice's Restaurant. Mary Smich (the sunscreen chick) says it doesn't even matter if you don't know what you want.

And there is the Indian car that I do want but can't seem to get. But thankfully, after all that, the Indian success mantra that I quoted yesterday was :"Success means never having to wear a tie." HURRAH! In this respect, today and perhaps for some time going forward, I have achieved SUCCESS.

No comments: