Monday, March 13, 2006

Ricky Ponting

You have to hand it to Aussie cricket captain Ricky Ponting. He is really great at being magnanimous in defeat and giving credit where it's due. While I am sure that it is a conscious decision to not court controversy through the media, he is great at just saying the right thing and not being drawn into tabloid slanging matches (something that I see Graeme Smith and Shane Warne have already entered into before the upcoming Test series). Gilchrist was similarly humble and offered no excuses after the drubbing they received at Newlands.

On Sunday Ponting declined receiving a joint man-of-the-match award insisting that Gibbs was more deserving and brushed off a crowd incident involving Brett Lee with this comment: "Brett got a few bottles thrown at him ... nothing major." I love his and Adam Gilchrist's 'no excuses' attitude and they're definitely up there on my list of blokes I'd like to have a beer with. I'm buying.

No comments: