Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bye-bye CA

The other big thing, over and above the house purchase, that’s just happened is that my Isuzu is about to lose its CA plates & have them replaced with GP plates. Given the debt I'm about to be swamped by I'll be stuck driving my trusty tank for a while yet and I'm not going to change the Sharks bumper stickers though, despite the events of the weekend.

I guess both of these events say quite a bit about "no going back" and being on target to look back on this year (hopefully fondly) as the year of big change.

Interestingly last year my vehicle registration cost R502 in Cape Town. The same vehicle registration in Johannesburg for this year is R240, and includes a free three hour wait in a queue of interesting people. I also see that Cape Town is again mooting an additional fuel levy over and above their high registration costs. But just as I was just getting gleeful about all the saving I was making by having a GP number plate it dawned on me that the saving on vehicle registration is negated in about two months of paying much higher insurance premiums.

3 comments:

Third World Ant said...

The CT vs Jozi cost of living debate continues...

But here's a beauty: the Gilb just bought new insurance - covering the contents of the house he's in, his car, and earthmoving (he is in Secunda, after all). All this amounted to R447 p/m! His car insurance alone in Joburg was R830 p/m!

Still, that extra R400 buys you a gorgeous daily view of a spectacular skyline, so I consider it evened out... (looks like you've fallen hook, line and sinker for the Joburg allure too!)

ATW said...

Yes I do dig it here. Insurance premiums aside and the awful reality of having to help a colleague through the experience of having his car hijacked and him having huge stab wound in the back of his head this week.Despite this trauma of guns held at his head and stomach he's doing Ok.

Third World Ant said...

Really sorry to hear... hopefully he has experienced the worst of incidents that will ever befall him again...