Friday, August 04, 2006

On being chilled


"The degree of one's emotion varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts - the less you know the hotter you get" - Bertrand Russell (1872-1970).

I do think people that are emotional act on impulse without giving themselves the time to garner or process knowledge. Applying a bit of logic to this. I'm rarely 'hot' to use Russell's phrase. In fact, I'm generally rather chilled about things. Is it because I think and know stuff? Is it because I know that it's pointless getting irate in the traffic? Or is it just because I'm a cold and unemotional bastard? Hopefully not the latter.

So with apologies to Descartes, perhaps : "I think therefore I am chilled" would be an appropriate maxim.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

I rather feel you have an advantage there. I often have to restrain myself from over reacting to situations on an emotional level before thinking about what's really wise..perhaps I think therefore i am cool would be more apt!

Vallypee said...

...for you that is. I could do with being cool too..

ATW said...

Sorry, me and Tom Cruise are not quite in the same league even if I did once own a pair of Rayban Wayfarers!